Friday, September 28, 2007

Toilet Humor


I had a different thought about what I posted yesterday. Specifically, it was a thought about people's artistic output, or lack thereof - what one friend called our "post-creative culture." I suppose what really concerns me is that I notice people censoring themselves and self-editing, because they think that whatever it is that they're doing, it's only something that someone else has done before, which seems like the ultimate insult to one's unique perspective.

This is like the death of the creative individual, brought on by the birth of the ultimate creative individual.

Perhaps I am projecting.

Anyway, I also wanted to end this week, which has made me braindead, sleepy and floppy like a newborn, with something funny. A story:

Yesterday I walked into the bathroom and noticed that the trash can in the stall (for men: these exist for tampons, etc. Do not feel jealous that you do not have them) was bulging with non-standard paper products. I had to look closer, and when I did I discovered that the can was in fact stuffed with someone's financial documents - bank statements, notes from an accountant, etc.

At first this struck me as odd. However, when I thought about it, the concept began to make sense to me. It takes forever to meticulously shred one's financial papers, but it has to be done to ward of identity theft (or so I'm told: it's like the Bogey man). But who would ever look in, let alone steal from, the catamenia bin in a corporate office building? That would be a health hazard!

It was a small moment of genius.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger stloufringe said...

A continuing effort to reach you! I just found out today that if all goes according to plan, I will be in Chicago tomorrow...call me! or somehow let me know how I can contact you! i no want to miss....

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home