Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring is Sprung


There are quite a few people I've spoken to in the past year who say they prefer living in the Midwest, because they really crave natural seasons. I am here to call these people liars.

As far as I can tell, most people who live in the Midwest are just as averse to snow in late March as people who live in California - if anything, they complain more than I do. Maybe it's because, when I moved to Chicago, everyone warned me how hard it would be - how long, cold, and dark the winter. And while it truly has been all those things, I can't help but face into the icy winds coming off of Lake Michigan, and think to myself (loudly, in a shouting voice) IS THIS ALL YOU'VE GOT?

Maybe the issue is not that people don't crave seasons, it's more that the Midwest actually lacks them. For example, today we've been having the first blizzard of spring. To me, this does not suggest that Chicago is the bastion of meteorological diversity that some have implied.

I don't have much to go with this. I'm not depressed about the weather. But when I look out my office window to the scene below, I no longer feel like I am in a cherished snowglobe. Now it feels more like ash is raining down from the heavens, and yea, disbelievers, the end is nigh.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Bourne said...

There are really not that many places that have "all four seasons" in roughly equal measure. The midwest is more like Hot ass summer and cold ass winter with brief interludes of pleasantness to make a transition. When I was in Iowa I always felt like the weather was like a schizophrenic Iowa housewife addicted to meth. One minute everything was fine and then the next it was terrible. California, on the other hand has a perpetual spring and Maryland has spring, a hell of a summer and a nice fall but kind of a wimpy sissy of a winter. The NW doesn't have seasons in the traditional sense, more the monsoon model. Parts of the northeast(PA, NY, and southern New England) they have all four seasons but the midwest, it just has 2, and two transition periods.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home